As an academically selective school, James Ruse Agricultural High School has a rigorous admissions process. Applicants must be Australian or New Zealand citizens or permanent residents of NSW.
Numbers are limited by accommodation to 120 in each of Year 7 and 8 with an increase in Years 9, 10 and 11. Students are not admitted into Year 12. All information is available on the Department of Education website.
James Ruse Agricultural High School runs campus tours during school hours for prospective families an in-person opportunity to see the school in day to day operation. Tours will still run even if it rains.
An Open Day is scheduled on Saturday, 16 September 2023 where activities such as modified school tours will also be held.
We are hosting on campus School tours in 2023.
Tours, led by our Years 8-10 Student Tour Ambassadors, run for approximately 1 hour then followed by an information session with the Principal, or Deputy Principal if she is unavailable.
To see dates and times please use this link or use the QR Code to book.
Please note that new dates and times are continually added to the booking system in response to demand.
Virtual School Tour
If you require more information please do not hesitate to email the Development Manager at email@example.com
Entry to school in Year 7
The High Performing Students Unit of the Department of Education conducts an entrance test in mid-March of Year 6 for entry into Year 7 the following year. All Year 7 applications must now be completed online. Please follow the links below:
- Telephone: 1300 880 367
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information about entry to Year 7 in Selective High Schools is available on the department website.
Application for entry into Year 7 is to be made in November when the student is in Year 5 and the test will be administered in March when the student is in Year 6. For example, students wishing to enter Year 7 2024 must apply by November 2022.
Entry to School in Years 8 to 11
Our 2023 Years 8-11 Application process has closed.
Key dates for our 2024 enrolment intake for Years 8-11 are listed below:
Applications Open: expected date Tuesday 20 June 2023
Applications Close: expected date Friday 21 July 2023
Edutest entry test date: Saturday 29 July 2023
For general information about enrolling in a selective high school please see the Department website.
For information about the selection and enrolment process please click: James Ruse Agricultural High School Process for Enrolment Years 8-11.
Please note the section on Residency requirements.
- Candidates must be Australian citizens or holders of a visa granting permanent residency status in Australia. Information on Australian citizenship is available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website. Official evidence of Australian citizenship may be obtained by the issue of a Certificate of Evidence of Australian Citizenship.
- Citizens of New Zealand who are permanently settled in Australia are eligible for entry. Permanent residents of New Zealand, like temporary residents of Australia, cannot be placed.
- All applicants must provide documentation, such as a certificate of evidence of Australian citizenship, birth certificate or permanent residency visa.
- Students born in Australia with a parent who was a citizen or permanent resident at the time of the student’s birth must show full birth certificates. The residency status of the parents is listed on the birth certificate.
- Students whose parents were not citizens or permanent residents at the time of the student’s birth must show their citizenship papers or passports or a permanent residency visa.
The following information is for 2023 applications. The process is expected to be similar for 2024 applications. Please check back for details closer to the application opening date.
** For 2023 enrolments, an online application process has been introduced which is the preferred method of submission for applications.**
Complete and attach documents as requested.
Attachments may be PDF, DOC, DOCX, PNG, JPG, JPEG or GIF files.
The online application will require as individual attachments:
- proof of citizenship or permanent residency as described above
- completed application form downloaded from the Department website
- completed JRAHS Additional Information 2023 form
- school academic reports for
- Semester 1 2022
- If Semester 1 2022 report is not available, email it as soon as possible to Jamesruseemail@example.com with the subject ‘2023 Application’. Include your child’s name and the year applied for in 2023.
- Semester 2 2021 and Semester 1 2021
- most recent NAPLAN result. NAPLAN was not conducted in 2020.
- VALID Science 8 or VALID Science 10 if available
- Selective Schools or OC test result if available
- evidence of cocurricular activities for past 2 years
- Eg Chess, Music, Debating, Sport
- evidence of external academic achievements for past 2 years
- Eg ICAS, RACI, AMT competitions. Include detailed results as well as certificate.
- other supporting documents
- Eg letter of recommendation, academic history if overseas
In addition, students must participate in the Edutest examination as part of their application to JRAHS.
Test date: Saturday 29 July 2023
Start time: 9:00 am (Arrive at 8:45 am for registration)
Finish time: Approximately 12:00 pm
J.C Hoskin Auditorium
James Ruse Agricultural High School
17-31 Felton Road, Carlingford
(closest cross street is Baker Street)
Test registration and payment via the Edutest website will open on 20 June 2023 at this link. https://aus.edutest.com.au/D/?t=0v48956d
The combined application processing fee and Edutest fee ($130) must be paid by credit card direct to Edutest. General information about Edutest testing is available at the Edutest parent and student page at this link.
For 2024 applications, students who apply for James Ruse Agricultural High School and any of the schools listed below will undertake the Edutest exam once.
- Baulkham Hills High School
- North Sydney Boys High School
- North Sydney Girls High School
- Sydney Girls High School
Each school will receive the Edutest results for their student applicants. Each school will conduct its own review of the application and contact parents directly.
On the test day, students must bring:
- a photo ID,
Acceptable ID includes current school photo/library card or passport.
- two lead pencils,
- black or blue pen.
No calculators are permitted.
The test will include sections on:
- Verbal Reasoning
- Numerical Reasoning
- Reading Comprehension
- Mathematics and
- Written Expression.
Each section is 30 minutes long.
Online practice tests are available for purchase from the Edutest website. Overseas students please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a local testing location.
An internal school selection panel of educators convenes to evaluate applications. Interviews may be held to determine outcome.
Entry to School in Year 12
We do not accept enrolments in the Year 12 academic year.
Moving overseas and need school reports authenticated for DFAT?
Email email@example.com to arrange to bring original documents to 105 Phillip Street, Parramatta 2150.