In human society and its environment (HSIE), both subjects of history and geography are mandatory from Kindergarten to Year 10.
In HSIE, students explore varied subjects in human society and its environment to learn about history, geography, people, societies and culture.
Students also have an opportunity to learn more about people and the societies and environments in which they live through elective subjects.
A large number of individual subjects make up the key learning area of HSIE in which students:
- research, gather and analyse information
- question and make judgements
- write for a variety of purposes.
The HSIE faculty offers a broad range of courses.
All Year 7 students complete the Mandatory Stage 4 History Course.
All Year 8 students complete the Mandatory Stage 4 Geography Course.
Year 9 & 10
All Year 9 and 10 students complete the Mandatory Stage 5 Geography and History courses. In each year they do 1 semester each of Geography and History.
Students also have the option of studying Commerce and/or History Elective in Year 9 and 10.
Year 11 & 12
The senior courses offered are:
- Ancient History
- History Extension
- Legal Studies
- Modern History
Co-Curricular Activities & Competitions
Opportunities vary from year to year, but some of the regular opportunities our students enjoy include:
- An Ancient/Medieval Weapons and Armour Show for Year 7 History
- Geography Students undertake fieldwork in local environments
- Year 11 Modern History students visit the Sydney Jewish Museum
We encourage our gifted and talented students to participate in a range of competition, some of which include:
- AEBSC Business Studies Competition for Year 10 Commerce Students
- AEBSC Economics Competition for Year 11 and 12 Economics Students
- ASX Stock Market Game
- Australian Geography Competition for Years 8, 9 and 10
- J.A. Thompson History Debating for Years 10 and 11 History Students
- History Mastermind Competition for Year 7 History students
- Kirby Cup Western Sydney University High School Mooting Competition for Year 11 Legal Studies Students
- National History Competition
- The Simpson Prize Competition
- Tiger Global Case Competition - Business Studies Competition for students aged 13 to 18.